Sunday, April 15, 2012

Stereotype and Rituals in Reality TV

    Stereotypes and rituals run rampant in all forms of entertainment today as well as in our daily lives.  This seems to me at first glance to be an ironic topic.  I almost feel that reality TV is filled with nothing but stereotypes and rituals.

     Let’s take a look at rituals and an obvious choice first, Survivor.  Every week we know there will be a competition.  Many contestants have their own little rituals they follow as a group or individual, some as a means of surviving, almost literally, others as a way to play the game. 

     The tribal council and voting around the circle is a perfect example of a ritual that ends the show each night.  This ceremony is used to join the group together as one and discuss and decide each other’s fate.   There is also the ritual of the Reality TV annual reunion shows where they recap the season and answer viewer questions.  All I can really say about that is big fat “drama”.
     Another example of a ritual would be the rose ceremony on the Bachelor series.  I have mixed feelings about this.  You can see the women filled with anxiety in many cases which makes me sad for them; however, they also know the show and what they signed up for so although the ritual is tense, I have to believe that in some cases, the women are there for alternative reasons other than just the chance to snag an eligible bachelor. 
    Next let’s look at stereotypes on the show Jersey Shore.  There were the obvious pre-Shore stereotypes regarding Italians for examples.  I feel that there are new stereotypes that have been created from the show itself.  People sometimes refer to the characters in the show as representing typical Italians from Jersey with characteristices such as loud, obnoxious, partiers, drunks, and of lower intelligence.  
     I too have formed my own stereotype based on the Housewives series.  First of all, on the outside they appear to have an easy life.  By easy I mean low stress as it relates to finding money to pay something simple like an electrical bill, not easy meaning they don’t have a care in the world.  I also find it amusing that in all of these shows, these women with money, social standing, nice houses, cars, families and social lives seem like they cannot make it through one get together without a huge fight or argument breaking out. 

     Am I also stereotyping by thinking that these ladies should have all the social skills needed to hold back but seemingly have almost none at all in these situations?  Even I know that it is inappropriate to start or engage in a brawl or argument at an awards dinner or celebration.  Sometimes they look so pretty on the outside that I am shocked to hear the mean, vicious and cruel things that fly out of their mouths to their loved ones and those they call friend.  This is another good example of a personal stereotype of mine.  I can tell you this, if I had a friend who continuously bad mouthed me in public or started fights with me by throwing drinks at me, they would most certainly not remain a friend for long. 
     I often wonder too if the show producers help to stage some of these events for good show or ratings.  Seems there is often alcohol involved in the outbreaks and I find it hard to believe that these housewives and mothers actually spend that much time of their lives drinking. 
     The final stereotype to consider may be the reality of reality TV itself.  Is it possible that viewers consider, believe or think that reality TV is real, and that their lives are much better than their own because of what they see?  Could this stereotypical opinion cause things like depression or envy, particularly to those more vulnerable such as our teen youth?  I think it is certainly a dangerous “reality” of the times and something we need to be prepared to deal with.  
    It would also seem then that it is nearly impossible to live or think without some kind of stereotyping based on personal values, beliefs, background and culture.  That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be aware, and try to stop it.  It goes back to that old saying our parents or grandparents used to tell us about not judging others until you’ve walked in their shoes.  Consideration, compassion and understanding still go a long way.    

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you are so right. I just started watching dancing with the stars this year, and I was shocked at the stereotypes that played out each week. You don't win if you are good, you win if you have a lot of fans. This was very enlighting.

    ReplyDelete